Sunday 25 September 2011

Lemon curd's the word

Back when I called Vancouver my home I did something on a slapstick embarrassing level higher than any other (for me at least). On an all too common trip to the supermarket with a close friend of mine to gather the fixin's for a good meal, I spotted a heard of lemon meringue pies that summoned me to adopt their prettiest leader. I gingerly plucked this well crafted, stiff peaked, tartness filled gods creation from the table with both hands caressing it's sides. I walked  with care to our next isle of need, being sure to look up at the descriptions posted above each row to minimize potential time wastage...and then it happened...almost at the path I needed turn down...I walked straight into a low-lying empty pallet, tipping me swiftly towards the ground, forcefully landing on my knees and elbows, catapulting my newest love high into the air only to land on her top and careen towards oncoming shoppers. Stunned, confused and highly embarrassed - mainly due to the fact that my friend abandoned me only to leave an elderly patron my only/best option in the assistance of the return to my feet, I scampered back to the table to not so lovingly snatch the next best adoptee and angrily pay for her at the next available disgruntled cashier. This treat that only moments earlier sent my blood pressure rising with delight, was now going to pay for my bruised knees and broken ego. I was going to eat it. I was even going to eat it before my meal and blame it for ruining dinner. 


This little snippet of memory from my youth comes rushing back every time I think of whipped meringue or that tangy lemon curd. I've never made a full lemon meringue pie before and since I am going out of town on vacation tomorrow, I wasn't about to make today my first. I opted for the simpler approach of making only the lemon curd goodness that I seem to enjoy the most out of the dessert anyway's. 


Mix up 6 tablespoons softened butter with one cup of sugar. Add in 2 whole eggs and 2 egg yolks to this mixture. Try and do that 1 egg at a time. Throw in 2/3 of a cup fresh lemon juice. This will look curdled but it will smooth out soon enough.




Pop this mixture into a pot and heat it on low. Whisk constantly until thickened, it should coat the back of a spoon. Try not to let the mixture boil. Once thick, take it off the heat and stir in a tablespoon of lemon zest. 




   Place into a bowl in the fridge with baking paper pressed against the top to avoid a crust forming. Let the lemon curd cool before giving it a home in a container with a well sealing lid. 



3 comments:

  1. Wow,I sure do enjoy your childhood memories!!
    I will try lemon curd recipe as it is different from my fresh lemon pie recipe. I think the curd would make such a nice cake filler/frosting.
    Proud of your creativity !!!
    auntie c.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lemony goodness. Super stoked that I have lemons at the moment so I can try this one very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - this site is awesome. Thanks for sharing your recipes & I am inspired to try some out in the hols!!! Cheers Shirley

    ReplyDelete