Friday 19 August 2011

Sans sommeil - Without sleep

It's amazing what a good nights sleep can do for your exhausted being. I am saying this only from past memories and not from the life that I am currently existing in. A deep, uninterrupted, full 8 (I will even take seven) hour sleep, where you wake up without a screaming alarm or a small child inches away from your face asking for water from the cup beside his bed that he himself put there at the beginning of the night - but for some reason you are the only person who can lift it to his mouth to assist in the quenching of thirst. See, as I am typing this, I have a happily twitching, snoring husband adventuring through the windy avenues of dreamland beside me, a teething kid with a belly full of food having his own misguided magic play dates across the hall, and me...unable to even get relaxed enough to R.E.M for even a snippet of a sleep. At night I make a plan of attack, I write lists in my head to transcribe in the a.m, I analyse the week just past and recount tactless moments that slipped under my minds radar, I think about what I am going to make for dinner the next day and if we will have enough leftovers to fill us for another serving (we will...don't worry). I do everything at night but sleep.   

So, you might be wondering how I am going to segue my rambles about sleep into a blog about a craft project...I cut up a blanket to make pillows. Pretty clear transition.

Basically, I went into an Army surplus store and bought an old French Military blanket, cut it into the sizes of  pillows I wanted (I found pillows super cheap and they had sizes written on them - handy). 


*Health Service Army

When you are measuring you need to have enough material to cover both sides plus a flap (it will be stitched on the sides so it isn't just flapping around - like an envelope but with the corners stuck down) that covers about half or 3/4 of the back or front - depending on how you want your pillow to look. 


This is a really easy sew if you use one long piece of material - two sides to be sewn - easy. One thing to remember when sewing this up is to have your flap part against your finished side - you are sewing this inside out just like you would anything else. But really, it's only a few stitches to remove if you do accidentally get a bit backwards. Sometimes it's nice to add some buttons to hold the flappy bit closed, and you could totally use this as detailing make the flap side the front.



No comments:

Post a Comment