Tuesday 16 August 2011

Snowy Sunday food for comfort 2 of 2 - Cornbread

When I first wrote the prequel to this cold and snowy feed myself to warmth blog post, I didn't fully realize how bad it was going to get. I don't mean how bad the overeating was quickly spiralling out of my control but how New Zealand was freezing over. The Antarctic Heaven's opened up and released her icy insides all up inside our country. Power being cut, roads being blocked, access to accessible homes becoming inaccessible. The effected citizens began to scramble, myself included. Electricity was out and a drafty beach-side home was in. Candles lit,  wind up torches illuminated and the sweet sounds of Elton John playing on the radio (until I got bored of winding up the multitasking torch and decided it was far less of an effort to just sit in silence). 

Luckily though, for my ever enlarging food cavity, my brother-in-law had created that nights dinner in advance and since I always construct meals that will feed a whole sports team for days, the fridge had previously been filled with a bounty of belly filling delights. One of the things I had an abundance of was an awesome spicy Cornbread. Perfect for filling the empty void no electricity had left behind.


Warm up 1 and a half cups of milk on the stove, add 1/2 a cup of butter - take it off the heat and let it melt. After that cools down for a bit, add in 1 and a half cups of plain yoghurt and two eggs - give her a beat with a whisk. 






Add all the dry bits together in a bowl - 2 cups of corn meal, 2 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 2 teaspoons of baking soda, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Here's where you can add some extras to it. I threw a couple fresh green chilli's and two spring onions in the mix but you could totally do anything. The Cornbread is your oyster - so maybe crumble up some bacon in it. Mix the two parts together and throw it in the oven at 180c for 40 minutes or so (maybe check it a bit earlier - I got a bit distracted while timing). We had this straight out of the oven with some homemade hearty Chilli and it was probably the best meal I have had in ages. 






  

No comments:

Post a Comment